About Me

If there is a ring or a cage, you can be sure I'll be there...

Friday 3 February 2012

DODSON HAS SURPRISE FOR McKENZIE


Tony Dodson laughed off the fact he needed a second trip to the scales for the first time in his 13-year career ahead of tonight's Commonwealth light-heavyweight showdown with Ovill McKenzie in Manchester.

Liverpool's former British super-middleweight champion was initially 3oz over the 12st 7lb championship limit, but returned minutes later half a pound inside before saying: "I think I’ll have to invest in some new scales in our house. When I left, my weight was perfect."

He added: "This is nothing to worry about. I made the weight easily and both myself and Ovill look in great shape. It's going to be a good fight while it lasts, and I am supremely confident of taking the belt home to my son at the end of it.

"I have a few surprised up my sleeve and a lot of people are going to be shocked at the performance I produce. I've always been a strong boxer but perhaps have become a little more renowned for my heart and my willingness to stand and fight in recent years. But tonight people will see the real Tony Dodson.

"Camp has gone great, I'm in great shape and I am ready to go to work. For those lucky enough to have tickets in Manchester this will be a performance to savour, while those at home watching on BoxNation are going to enjoy every minute. This will be a defining performance in my career."

Tony Dodson looked trim on the scales yesterday

And what a career it's been. After turing professional back in the summer of 1999, Dodson went on to capture an array of titles, including the Lonsdale Belt, yet many believed that father time had closed in on his 28-6-1 career. Back to back defeats, albeit in fight of the year candidates to local rivals Tony Quigley and Paul Smith, left Dodson stirring into a career abyss. But he's rebuilt himself up at light-heavyweight and is currently on a four-fight winning streak. 

McKenzie represents a step up in class compared to that crop, howeve,r and tonight, once again, represents a major crossroads occasion in the career of one of British boxing's most beloved characters. "I know at 31 that my chances are growing increasingly small, but I also now that I'm doing things now that I haven't done for years," added the 'Garston Warrior'. "Since moving to Oliver's Gym in Salford I've found my love for boxing again and Ovill McKenzie is going to find that out when the bell goes."

McKenzie, meanwhile, captured the Commonwealth belt by knocking out Welsh prospect Jeff Evans in just 15 seconds in Halifax in November and 'The Upsetter' will enter the ring as firm favourite for his first defence. However, he suffered back to back defeats of his own against another Scouser, Tony Bellew, before finally claiming the Commonwealth strap – the latter of which was a systematic 12-round beating in July. Did that performance provide Dodson with a blueprint to defeating one of the most dangerous stalwarts in British boxing?

Tonight's undercard also features to other Merseyside stars. St Helens' former British bantamweight champion Gary Davies, back in the ring for the first time in 14 months, aims to return to the glory trail. While Liverpool-based light-heavyweight, Courtney Fry, is gunning for a massive performance of his own in an attempt to secure a shot at the winner of the main event.

* Tickets are still available on the door at the Bowler's Arena, while the event is also televised live on BoxNation tonight from 6pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment